Visa Guide

Admission & Jw202

   Within 2 weeks after application, we will send out Admission notice and JW 202 form (Visa application form for foreign students) by the address provided by the applicants. With these 2 documents, you can get student visa X1/X2 from the Chinese Embassy in your home country.

X1 visa

After arrival in China, those who enter China with X1 visas should apply for the residence permit within 30 days after entry.

Residence permit

When applying for the residence permit, documents as follows are required:
1. JW 202 form (yellow)
2. Admission Notice
3. Temporary Residence registration form
4. Medical report from Shanghai International Travel Healthcare Center
5.Offcial application letter from the university
6. Visa application form

  X2 visa

Those who hold X2 visas can stay in China from 30 to 180 days. Please pay attention to the “period of stay”.

 L visa

  Students who enter China with other kinds of visas should apply for the residence permit as soon as possible.


One who entered China with visa-free policy can not apply for the residence permit.

Get to know your visa!

This letter shows the type of visa:
X-student visa
L-Tourist visa
M-Business visa
This number shows the times that you can enter China.
The number shows the period that you can stay in China. The days will be counted after your entry.
Please enter China before this date.
Attention: It is not the expiration date when you stay in China.
It is the expiration date of your residence permit. Please be sure to leave China or extend the visa before this date.


Visa guide

Your browser does not support Canvas.

Beijing Time


  Zip code:

Room 253 International Students Office, Physics Building,
East China Normal University, 3663 North Zhongshan Road, Shanghai, China
+86-21-62232013 +86-21-62238353

Global Education Center

International Student Office


2015 All Rights Reserved by International Students Office of East China Normal University