Chinese Government Scholarship——Bilateral Program
Chinese Government Scholarship (CGS) --- Bilateral Program includes a full or partial scholarship established by Ministry of Education in accordance with educational exchange agreements or consensus between Chinese government and governments of other countries, institutions, universities or international organizations.
Application opens between early January and early April. Please consult the dispatching authorities for the specific deadline of each year.
Applicants for bachelor degree program must have high school diploma with excellent grades and be under 25.
Applicants for master degree program must have bachelor degree and be under 35.
Applicants for doctoral degree program must have master degree and under 40.
Applcants for general scholar program must have high school diploma and under 45.
Applicants for senior scholar program must have master degree or a title higher than associate professor and under 50.
1) Full scholarship:
Exempt from tuition fee, and accommodation on campus; provide comprehensive medical insurance and monthly stipend.
Undergraduate program: 2500 RMB;
Graduate program & General scholar program: 3000 RMB;
Doctoral program & Senior scholar program: 3500 RMB;
University provides on-campus dormitory with double beds for scholarship students. Students hoping to live off-campus should apply to the university and receive the off-campus permission from the university.
Monthly accommdation allowance:
- Undergraduate (Pre-college), Graduate (General Scholar): 700
- RMB/person PhD (Senior Scholar) is 1,000 RMB/person
Within the scholarship duration, registered scholarship students will receive a stipend from their host university each month. Students registering on or before the 15th of the month will receive a full stipend of that month. Those who register after the 15th of the month will receive a half stipend of that month. Graduating students will receive stipend until half month after the graduation date. If registered student stays out of China for more than 15 days due to a personal reason (school holidays excluded), his stipend will be stopped during his leaving.
Comprehensive medical insurance. (Please visit http://www.csc.edu.cn/studyinchina and refer to Comprehensive Insurance & Protection Scheme for Foreigners Staying in China for insurance policy.)
2) Partial scholarship
One or some items of the full scholarship.
(Exempt from tuition fee, and provide comprehensive medical insurance.)
3) Travel Cost
In principle, the international travel cost will be self supported, except for the students who signed special agreement.
Applicants for bachelor degree who fail to pass the required Chinese proficiency are required to take one-year preparatory courses to study Chinese and fundamental knowledge in the prescribed university. Once passing the courses, they can move onto their major studies.
Applicants for master and PhD degree, without adequate Chinese proficiency, should take Chinese language courses for one to two academic years to reach the language requirements of their host universities. These period Chinese language study can be sponsored by CGS. Failure to reach the required language proficiency will lead to the automatic termination of scholarship. Chinese language courses will be one year for majors in Science, Engineering, Agriculture, West Medicine, Economics, Management, Legal Studies and Fine Arts, and be no more than two years for majors in Literature, History, Philosophy and Chinese Medicine.
Scholarship recipients of the English-taught programs or those with adequate Chinese language proficiency do not need to take Chinese language courses.
Only applications of recommended candidates from dispatching authorities will be considered. Candidates holding a Pre-admission Letter will be placed in the host university; those without the Pre-admission Letter should accept CSC’s placement of university.
If you receive a Pre-admission Letter from ECNU, please contact the International Student Office (ISO) of ECNU, submit your application through ECNU online application system on the ISO website and pay the application fee of 800RMB.
1. Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship (written in Chinese or English);
2. Notarized highest diploma (photocopy);
Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations. Prospective diploma recipients must submit official document issued by your current school to prove your current student status or expected graduation date.
3. Academic transcripts (written in Chinese or English);
Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.
4. A Study Plan or Research Proposal (written in Chinese or English);
This should be a minimum of 200 words for undergraduate students, 500 words for non-degree students, and 800 words for graduate students.
5. Two Recommendation Letters (written in Chinese or English);
Applicants for graduate programs or senior scholar programs must submit two recommendation letters signed by professors or associate professors.
6. Applicants for art studies are requested to submit A CD of your own works; Applicants for music studies are requested to submit a CD of their own musical works; Applicants for the fine arts programs must submit a CD of their own works which include two sketches, two color paintings and two other works.
7. Valid documents of your legal guardians in China (only required for applicants under the age of 18);
8. Foreigner Physical Examination Form (photocopy) (written in English, only required for applicants planning to stay in China for more than 6 months, can be downloaded from http://www.csc.edu.cn/studyinchina or http://www.campuschina.org); The physical examinations must cover all of the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete forms or forms without the signature of the attending physician, or the official stamp of the hospital, or a sealed photograph of the applicant are considered as invalid. Please carefully plan your physical examination schedule as the result is valid for only 6 months.
9. The copy of Pre-admission Letter from designated Chinese university (if available);
10. The copy of HSK Certificate (if available).
All documents should be bound together on top left corner in the order of 6.1 to 6.10.
You should submit TWO sets of bound documents.
No application documents will be returned.
1. Application documents of recommended candidates from dispatching authorities will be considered by CSC for eligibility and qualification. Ineligible or incomplete applications will not be considered.
2. Qualified applications will be sent to universities for placement. Based on various factors, such as the different scholarship funding requirements of every country, the host university's teaching capacity, study length and applicants’ criteria, CSC reserves the right to make necessary adjustments/changes to the candidate’s host university, field of study, supporting categories and duration of scholarship. Applications enclosed with the Pre-admission Letter will be sent to the universities who issued that Letter for placement confirmation.
3. After placement confirmation by Chinese universities, scholarship recipients will get Chinese government scholarships to study in China with approval by CSC. Each scholarship recipient will be granted with no more than one scholarship.
4. CSC reviews the placement results, approves the List of Scholarship Recipients and sends the admission documents to the Chinese embassy or consulate-general before July 31st. The Chinese embassy or consulate-general will send the admission documents (List of Scholarship Recipients,Admission Letter and Visa Application Form for Study in China (JW201)) to the dispatching authorities or scholarship recipients.
5. Scholarship recipients shall not allowed to change their host university, field of study, or duration of study stipulated on the Admission Letter after their coming to China.
6. Scholarship will not be reserved if the scholarship recipient cannot register before the registration deadline.
Language Program: Zhang Juanmei （email@example.com）
Undergraduate Program & General Scholar Program： Sun Xiaoqian (Irina) firstname.lastname@example.org
Graduate Program: Shuai Xuanyu (Natalia) email@example.com
PhD Program &Senior Scholar Program: Yin Ying firstname.lastname@example.org
Add: Room 253, Physics Building, East China Normal University, 3663 North Zhongshan Road, Shanghai 200062, China
Tel: +86-21-62238353 / 62232013
Room 253 International Students Office, Physics Building,
East China Normal University, 3663 North Zhongshan Road, Shanghai, China
Global Education Center
International Student Office