For the purpose of cultivating qualified Chinese language teachers and facilitating the promotion of Chinese language and culture, the Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban) launches “Confucius Institute Scholarship” (CIS) to support outstanding students, scholars and currently employed Chinese language teachers recommended by Confucius Institutes, independently operated Confucius Classrooms as well as some HSK test centers (hereinafter to be collectively referred to as “recommending institutions”) to study in Chinese universities and colleges (hereinafter referred to as “host institutions”).
Acting as one of the host institutions, East China Normal University( ECNU) enjoys a high reputation in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages(TCSOL). The Institute of Global Chinese Language Education at ECNU, specialized in trainning overseas Chinese language teachers, is the only institute of this kind established by Hanban. The HSK test center of International College of Chinese Studies at ECNU is one of the recommending institutions authorized by Hanban.
All applicants shall be
a) Non-Chinese citizens
b) In good Physical and mental condition, well performed both academically and behaviorally
c) Aspired to take future careers on the teaching or international promotion of Chinese language.
d) Between the ages of 16-35 on September 1st, 2018. Applicants currently worked as Chinese language teachers shall not exceed the age limit of 45, while undergraduate students shall not exceed the age limit of 25.
A. Scholarship for Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL)
Commences September 2018 and provides scholarship for maximum two academic years. Applicants shall be Bachelor degree holders, and have a minimum score of 210 in HSK Test (Level 5) as well as 60 in HSKK test (Intermediate Level). Applicants who are able to provide notarized document of the employment agreement or related proofs upon completing study in China are preferred.
B. Scholarship for Bachelor’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (BTCSOL)
Commences September 2018 and provides scholarship for maximum four academic years. Applicants must have graduated with a high school diploma, , and have a minimum score of 210 in HSK Test (Level 4) as well as 60 in HSKK test (Intermediate Level).
C. Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study
Commences September 2018, and provides scholarship for maximum 11 months. International students currently studying in China are not eligible.
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 270 in HSK test (Level 3), while HSKK test score required.
ii. Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History, and Chinese Philosophy
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 180 in HSK test (Level 4) and 60 in HSKK test (intermediate level).
iii. Chinese Language Study
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 180 in HSK test (Level 3 level).
D.Scholarship for One-Semester Study
Commences either in September 2018 or March 2019, and provides scholarship of maximum 5 months. Applicants withholding visas X1 or X2 are not eligible.
i. TCSOL, Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History and Chinese Philosophy
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 210 in HSK test (Level 3), while HSKK test score required
E. Scholarship for Four-Week Study
Commences either on July or December of 2018, and provides a four-week scholarship. Applicants withholding visas X1 or X2 are not eligible.
i.Chinese Language plus home-stay Experience in a Chinese Family
HSK test score are required. Organized and applied by a Confucius Institute with 10-15 participants per group. Prior to the trip, a detailed study plan shall be made after consultation with host institutions and submit to Hanban for approval.
ii. Special Four-week Program for Confucius Institutes
HSK test score are required. Organized and applied by a Confucius Institute with 10-15 participants per group.
a) April 20th (for those commencing in July)
b) June1st (for those commencing in September)
c) September 20th (for those commencing in December)
d) December 20th (for those commencing in March 2019)
The Confucius Institute Scholarship provides full coverage on tuition fee, accommodation fee, living allowance (four-week study students are excluded) and comprehensive medical insurance expenses.
The monthly allowance for undergraduates, one-academic-year study students and one-semester students is 2,500 CNY per person. For MTCSOL student, the monthly allowance is 3,000 CNY per person.
1. Online registration will be available from March 1, 2018 on the Confucius Institute Scholarship website (cis.chinese.cn), complete the Confucius Institute Scholarships Application Form online as well as the ECNU Application Form online(http://lxs.ecnu.edu.cn, for degree program applicants only), and upload the scanned copies of relevant supporting documents.
2. Entrusted by Hanban, Confucius Institutes (independent Confucius Classrooms) in different countries, Chinese language testing centers(ECNU) are working as recommending institutions to engage in the applicant selection, materials review, host institutions connection, and collecting and handing over applicants’ documents to host institutions.
3. Host institutions will review the eligibility of applicants(An interview is required for ECNU degree program applicants) and submit the admission list to Hanban.
4. Hanban will complete the scholarship review and notify the results two months before enrollment of the admitted students.
5. After confirming with the successful applicants, host institutions will post “Letter of Admission”, “Visa Application Form for Foreigners to Study in China" (JW202 Form) and other relevant documents. The copy of the scholarship certificate can be print out from the CIS website.
Applicants should log onto the Scholarship website, fill out the “Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form”, and attach the electronic files of the following materials:
I. For all applicants
1. A scanned copy of the passport photo page.
Applicants under the age of 18 shall provide certified documents of designation signed by their entrusted legal guardians in China.
2. A scanned copy of score reports of the HSK, HSKK (within the two-year validity).
3. A Recommendation letter by the head of the recommending institutions.
Applicants currently worked as Chinese language teachers shall provide the proof of employment as well as a reference letter by the employing institution.
II. For degree scholarship program applicants
4. A certification of the highest education diploma (or proof of expected graduation) and an official transcript.
5. Applicants of the Scholarship for MTCSOL Students are required to provide 2 reference letters from professors or associate professors. Those who can provide a notarized employment agreement with teaching institutions are preferred.
III. Application documents required by ECNU
6. Study Plan
7. Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (printed by Chinese quarantine authority) filled in English. Incomplete records or those without the signature of the attending physician, the official stamp of the hospital or a sealed photograph of the applicants are invalid.
8. Application fee: RMB800 for degree program applicants. (Application fee should be paid online: http://lxs.ecnu.edu.cn/application.php )
Chinese Bridge winners who have been awarded the 2018 “Confucius Institute Scholarship Certificate” shall log onto the scholarship website and submit documents to relevant host institutions upon presentation of their CIS certificates. Please contact email@example.com for inquiry.
1. For major training plans and courses, please contact designated host institutions(ECNU)
2. Applicants shall be familiar with the specific criteria and closing dates for registration, and follow specific procedures to submit necessary documents
3. Incomplete or unqualified applications will not be processed.
4. Applicants will be disqualified from application in case of fraudulent application materials or application materials are completed and submitted by someone else.
5. Degree students shall accept the annual assessment under the Annual Appraisal Procedures of Confucius Institute Scholarship
6. Those who failed to register on time, failed to pass the health assessment, dropped out midway and/or suspended will be deprived of scholarship.
International Students Office, East China Normal University
Add:Room 253, Physics Building, 3663 Zhongshan Rd.(N.), Shanghai, 200062, China
Division of Test and Scholarships at Hanban
Add: 129, Deshengmenwai Street, Xicheng District, Beijing, 100088.
Confucius Institute Scholarship Website: http://cis.chinese.cn
Room 253 International Students Office, Physics Building,
East China Normal University, 3663 North Zhongshan Road, Shanghai, China
Global Education Center
International Student Office