For the purpose of supporting the development of Confucius Institutes, facilitating international promotion of Chinese language and dissemination of Chinese culture, as well as cultivating qualified Chinese-language teachers and excellent Chinese-language learners, Confucius Institute Headquarters/Hanban (hereinafter referred to as Hanban) launches a “Confucius Institute Scholarship” program to sponsor foreign students, scholars and Chinese language teachers to study Chinese in relevant universities of China (hereinafter referred to as “Host Institutes” ).
1. Category of Scholarship and Eligibility Criteria
The scholarship of 2014 is divided into 5 categories:
l Scholarship for Students of Master's Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages（MTCSOL）,
l Scholarship for Students of One-Academic-Year + MTCSOL,
l Scholarship for Students of Bachelor's Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages（BTCSOL）,
l Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Students,
l Scholarship for One-Semester Students.
Applicants shall be non-Chinese citizens in good health, aged between 16 and 35 (Chinese language teachers in post shall be aged below 45, and applicants for BTCSOL scholarship should be aged below 20).
1) Scholarship for Students of MTCSOL: The scholarship is oriented at excellent students from Confucius Institutes (Classrooms), overseas local Chinese language teachers, winners of the "Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students, excellent foreign college graduates majored in Chinese and outstanding performers on HSK exams, to undertake a Master's Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages. The scholarship winner shall begin the study in autumn 2014, and the duration of scholarship is two academic years. The applicant should have a bachelor degree or its equivalent, get a score of at least 180 on the HSK (level 5) and a score of at least 50 on the HSKK (intermediate level), and make a written commitment stating that he/she will be engaged in Chinese language teaching for at least 5 years after graduation. The applicant with a specific teaching post arranged will be given admission priority (certification by the institution he/she will teach for is required). Hanban will provide support for outstanding graduates to teach in their home countries.
2) Scholarship for Students of One-Academic-Year + MTCSOL: The scholarship is oriented at students from Confucius Institutes in Africa and Latin America regions, who are interested in Chinese Language teaching. The applicant shall sign an agreement with the Confucius Institute or an institute he/she will teach for. The Applicant is required to have a bachelor degree or its equivalent and achieve a score of at least 180 on the HSK (level 3) and a score of at least 60 on the HSKK (primary level). Those who pass the first-academic-year assessment and score at least 180 on the HSK (level 5) can proceed with their study in China for the Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages. Hanban will support graduates to teach Chinese in their home countries by recruiting them as local teachers, providing wage subsidies, etc.
3) Scholarship for Students of BTCSOL: The scholarship is oriented at students from Confucius Institutes in underdeveloped regions in Asia and Africa, who are interested in Chinese Language teaching. Scholarship winners will major in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (or Chinese in the direction of Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages). Time of enrollment for scholarship winners is autumn, 2014, and the duration is four academic years. Applicants should have a high school degree or above, and meanwhile get no less than 180 scores in HSK (level 3) and at least 40 scores in HSKK (intermediate level).
4) Scholarship for One-Academic Year Students : The scholarship is oriented at outstanding students of Confucius Institutes (Classrooms), overseas local Chinese language teachers, winners of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students, excellent foreign college students majored in Chinese, outstanding performers on the HSK, and those who intend to become Chinese teachers. The scholarship winner may choose to study in majors including Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History and Chinese Philosophy. The time of entrance is autumn 2014 and the grant term is one academic year. Applicants should achieve a score of at least 180 on the HSK (level 3) and at least 60 on the HSKK (primary level).
5) Scholarship for One-Semester Students : The scholarship is oriented at excellent students of Confucius Institutes (Classrooms), winners of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students, overseas local Chinese language teachers, excellent foreign college students majored in Chinese, and outstanding performers on the HSK. The scholarship winner may choose to study in majors including Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History and Chinese Philosophy. The time of entrance is autumn 2014 or spring 2015 and the grant term is one semester. Applicants should achieve a score of at least 120 on the HSK (level 2) and at least 40 on the HSKK (primary level).
For all categories of scholarships, priority will be given to applicants with HSK and HSKK scores. Winners of the finals of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students in China shall arrange their applications in accordance with the prize specifications. Repetitive applications are invalid.
3. Scholarship Coverage and Criteria
Scholarship winners are exempt from registration fees, tuition, fees for basic learning materials, accommodation fees on campus, and are provided with a one-off resettlement subsidy, monthly living allowance, outpatient medical service and comprehensive insurance for foreign students studying in China. Monthly living allowances are provided at the following rates (CNY Yuan per month):
a. CNY 1,400 for One-Academic-Year Students and One-Semester Students.
b. CNY 1,700 for Master’s Degree Students.
The one-off resettlement subsidy is CNY 1,500 for students who will study in China for one academic year or more; CNY 1,000 will be provided for all students who studies in China for one semester; the one-off resettlement subsidy will not be provided for those who have studied in China for more than half a year before being enrolled.
4. Recruitment Procedures
1)From the issue date of the Procedures, applicants can log on to the Confucius Institute Scholarship website at http://cis.chinese.cn, set up an individual account, read information and introduction of host institutes and majors, complete and submit the Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form online.
2) Confucius Institutes (independently set-up Confucius Classrooms), overseas Chinese test centers, educational and cultural offices (sections) of Chinese Embassies (Consulates), host institutes and institutions of higher education in those countries with no Confucius Institutes are entrusted by Hanban as the recommending institutions. The qualification and application materials of applicants shall be examined by the recommending institutions.
3) Host institutes are responsible for reviewing the qualification of applicants.
4) Hanban will organize an expert panel to make the final selection.
5) The host institutes will post “Admission Letter”, “Enrollment Instructions”, “Visa Application Form for Foreigners to Study in China" (JW202 Form).
4. Application Documents
Applicants should log onto the Scholarship website, fill out the “Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form”, and attach the electronic files of the following materials:
1) Photocopy of passport photo page.
2) Photocopies of HSK、HSKK score reports.
3) Notarized highest education diploma attained（scheduled graduation proof or official proof of student status）.
4)Reference letter and letter of commitment. The BTCSOL Scholarship applicants should submit pre-admission notice issued by the host institutes designated by Hanban. The MTCSOL Scholarship applicants are required to submit two reference letters from professors or associate professors (in Chinese or English) and a written commitment stating that the applicant will be engaged in Chinese language teaching for at least 5 years after graduation (written in Chinese and signed). College students majored in Chinese in countries with no Confucius Institutes established shall submit a reference letter signed and issued by the university President.
5) Applicants under the age of 18 shall submit relevant legal documents of entrusted legal guardians in China.
6) Winners of the finals of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students in China shall submit the certificate of scholarship. Winners of preliminary rounds of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions in their countries shall submit award proof and a reference letter from the Chinese Embassy (or Consulate) in the competition area.
7) Chinese language teachers shall submit the proof of the length of time in teaching and weekly teaching hours provided by institutes they work for.
8) Those applying for scholarship of One-Academic-Year + MTCSOL are required to provide the agreement signed with the Confucius Institute or the institute which they will be working for.
9) Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (printed by Chinese quarantine authority) filled in English. Incomplete records or those without the signature of the attending physician, the official stamp of the hospital or a sealed photograph of the applicants are invalid.
RMB400 or USD80.You can either pay cash or transfer it to our bank account:
1. Account Name: EAST CHINA NORMAL UNIVERSITY
2. Account No.: 435159245526
3. Bank Name: BANK OF CHINA SHANGHAI BRANCH
4. SWIFT Code.: BKCHCNBJ300
5. Address: No.23 Zhongshan Dong Yi Rd, Shanghai, China
6. Please indicate that the bill is for “Procedure Fee” and applicant’s passport name
6. Entrance and Annual Appraisal .
1) The scholarship winners shall register at the host institutes before the deadline set by the institutes. Scholarships will not be reserved for those who do not register on time without reasonable cause.
2) Scholarships will be canceled for those who cannot pass the health examination.
3) Students undertaking BTCSOL or MMTCSOL (including One-Academic-Year + MTCSOL), shall be subject to an annual appraisal after being enrolled according to the “Annual Appraisal Procedures for Confucius Institute Scholarship”. Only the eligible students are entitled to continue to receive the scholarships in the following year.
7. Contact Information
Yin Ying / Jiang Yan
Add: International Students Office, East China Normal University
Room 236, Physics Building, 3663 Zhongshan Rd.(N.), Shanghai, 200062, China
E-mail: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Division of Testing and Scholarship, Confucius Institute Headquarters / Hanban
Address: 129, Deshengmenwai Street, Xicheng District, Beijing, 100088.
Fax: +86-10-58595937 Email:email@example.com
Confucius Institute Scholarship Website: http://cis.chinese.cn
HSK and HSKK Website: http://www.chinesetest.cn
Китай, Шанхай, № 3663 Джуншаньбэй Лу,
корпус физика, Комната 253-255, Офис по делам иностранных студентов.
Центр Международного Образования
Офис по делам иностранных студентов